Tuesday 18 February 2014

Quick Review - BBC Symphony Orchestra Concert - Barbican Centre

At the end of January my friend had managed to arrange tickets to the BBC Symphony Orchestra playing Beethoven's 4th and Ravel's Bolero.

So what can go wrong when you have some of the finest musicians in the world playing some of the finest music ever composed? Well, nothing.  

The music was played with flawlessly.  

I was more impressed with the Beethoven stuff than I was with the 20th symphony by Rave but it was all beautiful.

Philistine Alert
It was the first time I had been to such a recital and there were some odd things going on that I quite didn't understand. The audience seemed to instinctively know when to clap and when not to clap during the breaks in the music. I am guessing you remain silent at the end of a movement and clap at the end of a symphony. There was also an apparently famous flautist who got everyone in the audience very excited. My friend and I just went with the flow (though I did clap in the wrong place once).

Despite playing the role of fish out of water, I enjoyed the experience of just sitting and letting you mind wonder as the orchestra got on with their job. There are further recitals planned at the Barbican this year and I'd recommend trying to experience an orchestra like this at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment